Tuesday, May 25, 2021
Zoom Meeting ID: 871 8045 2659
FUMC Borger is having a “Called Charge Conference” on Tuesday, May 25, 2021, at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. The time is to be determined, but will be announced soon.
This charge conference is called for the purpose of voting to adopt or reject the One Board Leadership Model approved by the Church Council at the end of 2020. The One Board Leadership Model is an option for local church governance according to our United Methodist Book of Discipline. The Northwest Texas Annual Conference and our District Superintendents have asked churches with fewer than 100 average worship attendance to consider moving to the One Board model.
Under this structure, we will have a Church Council composed of 10 members, 9 voting members and 1 Ex-Officio Non-Voting Member (Pastor).
- Church Council Chairperson
- Lay Leader/Lay Member To Annual Conference
- SPRC Chair
- Asset And Property Team Member 1 (A&P Team)
- Asset And Property Team Member 2
- Asset And Property Team Member 3
- Finance and Stewardship Team Member 1 (F&S Team)
- Finance and Stewardship Team Member 2
- Finance and Stewardship Team Member 3
The One Board Model allows for greater flexibility and for greater efficiency in decision making. We will no longer have separate Trustee and Finance Committees. The responsibilities for these two committees are assumed by the Church Council. The three person A&P Team will focus on Trustee-related responsibilities, the three person F&S Team will focus on Finance and Stewardship-related responsibilities. For legal purposes, the Church Council is our Board of Directors/Board of Trustees. We will continue to have separate committees for the Staff-Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) and Nominations.
Moving to this model means we will have fewer church members in direct leadership roles. While this may sound counter-intuitive to some, it frees more church members to take part in our ministry teams, such as our Missions Team and Hospitality and Membership Care Team.
If you have any questions about the One Board Leadership Model prior to the Charge Conference, please do not hesitate to contact Pastor Bobby or Roger Belveal, Church Council Chairperson.
The Nominations Committee nominated the following members to serve on the Board/Church Council:
- Church Council Chairperson: Roger Belveal
- Lay Leader/Lay Member To Annual Conference: Scott Mills
- SPRC Chair: Ken Blewett
- Asset and Property Team Member: Willie Patman
- Asset and Property Team Member: Gayland Irwin
- Asset and Property Team Member: Lindsey Raff
- Finance and Stewardship Team Member: Dean Cooke
- Finance and Stewardship Team Member: Ben Elliot
- Finance and Stewardship Team Member: Angie Payton
Nominations to the Church Council were made based on three areas of consideration:
- Ensuring continued leadership experience as we transition the leadership model.
- Inviting newer church members into leadership of FUMC Borger so they may gain knowledge and experience of the United Methodist system of church governance.
- For the Trustees: The Trustee Class of 2022 was nominated. All others either requested to no longer serve due to various reasons or rolled off the Board of Trustees at the end of 2020.
According to the United Methodist Book of Discipline, the Board of Trustees are nominated in three groups/classes. Each group/class serves a three year term. Trustees can serve no more than two consecutive 3-year terms. Once the second three year term is served, those persons must roll off the Board for at least one year.
Any questions about those nominated to the Church Council should be directed to Pastor Bobby. The pastor is the chairperson of the Nominations Committee, according to the United Methodist Book Of Discipline.